Tips for energy conservation
Kelson Group Property Management is proud to be part of the Certified Rental Building™ Program (CRB). The program North America's first and only quality assurance certification program for apartment buildings which allows residents to choose the "best-of-the-best" in apartment living.
The CRB encourages residents of apartment rentals to become more environmentally conscious and energy efficient and to help, all CRB-approved buildings are Living GREEN Together™ certified focusing on:
- Reduced energy consumption
- Improved waste diversion & recycling
- Reduced water consumption
When it is hotter outside, we are all doing whatever it takes to keep cool and beat heat. But sometimes in our desire to keep cool, we forget about the importance of energy consumption. Here are 10 easy tips to help reduce your carbon footprint and energy costs.
- Turn off lights: master the technique of 'task lighting' and keep the lights in your apartment on only if you need them! It is that simple and effective.
- Energy efficient lighting: replace incandescent lamps with compact fluorescent or LED lighting as they are more energy efficient and do a much better job of keeping your apartment cool.
- Close the blinds: shutting the blinds to block sunlight from entering your apartment does wonders for keeping it cooler, not to mention cutting electricity usage.
- Pick fan over A/C: choose a fan over your suite's A/C, unless the A/C is needed for medical purposes or there is an extreme heat warning.
- Out of home? Turn it off: have an air conditioner or fan, turn it off when your apartment is empty.
- Close your windows: ensure all windows are shut when the A/C is running. When hot air comes in, your A/C requires more energy to keep your home cool.
- Electronics shut down: make it a routine to turn off computers and printers when not in use. While leaving them on has become a new normal, they are a major contributor to energy consumption, even when you are not using them.
- Thaw in the fridge: avoid using a microwave to thaw frozen food and use the fridge instead which results in a shorter time needed for cooking.
- Washing by hand: wash dishes and cutlery by hand instead of using the dishwasher it's only half full.
- Laundry fully loaded: do laundry only when you have a full load as it's more efficient to wash less in bigger bundles. Need to wash a small load, use the appropriate water-level setting and cold-water cycle.
Making smaller changes today can change habits and save energy!
Are you a Kelson Group resident with a tip for energy conservation you'd like to share. Share it and tag #KelsonLiveBetter on social media or email email@example.com You could win a prize package if we feature your tip.